Tuesday, April 26, 2011

1 week down, 77 to go!

Last week I landed in Bangalore, alone, to begin an 18 month assignment with IBM.  I'll get the boring stuff out of the way: Big Blue sent me here to be the Americas Geography (AG) Business & Program Management Office Leader.  I will not bother to describe exactly what that means.  I have been holed up at one of the best hotels in all of India called The Leela Palace.  It is simply amazing.  Nancy (my wife), Courtland (7 y/o in 2nd grade) and Effie (4 y/o in pre-school) are still home in Poughkeepsie, NY finishing the school year.  I am on what IBM refers to as a 'look see' trip for 11 days.  In that time, IBM optimistically (I think it delusional) believe that I can find a house (flat or villa), open a bank account, register with the India authorities, get a mobile phone and service (more difficult than is sounds), get a car and a driver (I'll explain why I need a driver at another time) and set up a household worthy of 4 people for an entire year.  11 days... HA!!!!  Once I am settled and the school year is complete for Nancy, Court & Ef, I will fly back home and ferry them over here.  


I have been to Bangalore 4 times previous and I know my way around the city a bit.  I really love India and Bangalore is a modern city (by India standards).  India is unlike any other place I have been, and I have been all over the world.  I will begin a regular post detailing my adventures, my heartaches, my frustrations and the true wonders that await us in India.  

No comments:

Post a Comment