Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 15: Waiting & Waiting & Waiting...

Have I mentioned that this is my 5th time to India?  Have I mentioned that things take a LONG time to get done here?  I thought that I was prepared for this.  I was not.  What bothers me the most is that the person causing the most delay works for my company!  I thought, mistakenly, that this person would be on my side.  This person would be my advocate.  This is not the case.  I get an unsettling feeling that these 2 weeks are a microcosm of the next 76 that are to follow.  I am still waiting for a decision by Big Blue to approve or deny my request for an increase in my housing allowance.  It has been 10 days since I submitted the request, numerous follow-up requests (which have been ignored) and days of frustration.  I have exhausted all the money that IBM fronted me for this adventure and needed to submit, you guessed it, an exception request to get more money.  I am moving out of The Leela Palace hotel to a more affordable place called The Mayer Hotel tonight.

How many times has your mobile phone company called you?  I have had a mobile phone in the US with Verizon (Bell Atlantic NYNEX Mobile originally) and they never called me once.  Airtel here in India has called me 5 times in the last 11 days.  They actually sent someone to my hotel and my office to verify that I exist, that I am who I purported to be and that I live and work where I said I do.  They have called me to verify this, and to verify the name of the person who visited me at my hotel and my office.  They called to welcome me to the service.  They called to explain my plan(s).  They called today to note that I have a credit limit of 2000 rupees per month ($44 USD) in overage use charges.  That is easily 10 times what I will need.

No comments:

Post a Comment